Wednesday, July 15, 2009

God bless Mrs. Melenyzer!

Those who weren't physically here this weekend may not yet have heard of the incredible blessing that came our way. Let me recount the story ...

Friday afternoon I had gone on the Yough River Trail with my classmate, Fr. Mike Sikon. When I returned to the office I noticed that there was a thick business-size envelope on my chair (the place where my erstwhile secretary places my mail and messages so that i don't miss them). From a distance it looked like any envelope from the Marriage Tribunal containing marriage papers. the only problem - I didn't have any papers outstanding. Upon closer inspection I saw that this mysterious envelope was posted from a law office. I immediately thought to myself "Self, what comes in a thick envelope from a lawyer's office? Wills of course! " (Call me an eternal optimist but the other possibility - lawsuits - never crossed my mind.)

The envelope contained the Last Will and Testament of Mrs. Rose Sweeney Melenyzer. Additionally, there was a cheque in the amount of $50.000,00 made out to St. John the Baptist Parish from the estate. A careful reading of the cover letter revealed that the cheque was but an advance payment as the estate was not yet settled; most likely more is in the offing.

Please keep Rose, her family, and her intentions, in your prayers. Her memory will most certainly always be honoured here at St. John's!

Give her eternal rest O Lord
and may perpetual Light shine upon her.
May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace.