Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Latrobe

I am glad that I took the time yesterday to visit former parishioners in Latrobe. All the visits were great, but the last brief one touched my heart the most. I stopped by to see a woman whom I regularly visited on First Fridays. Normally I wouldn't accede to a request that I come on a particular day, but "Ella" was especial. I still remember my first First Friday visit; she was nonplussed by the fact that I was wearing khaki (not black!) pants. Clearly she was very "old school." However it didn't take us long at all to establish a real connection. Despite the fact that I was most definitely different from my predecessor - and from her expectations - she saw that I was trying to serve the Lord - and her. As our relationship deepened I relished any opportunity to help her with some of difficulties in her life. She became one of those people of whom I can honestly say that I was blessed to have had the opportunity to minister. (Of course every person to whom one ministers is a blessing, but I trust dear reader that you know what I mean!)

Her reaction when I rang her doorbell in the late afternoon yesterday was priceless and reminded me of why I love being a priest. There is no greater feeling than to realize that you have been able to bring joy to another human being. That joy coming not ultimately from oneself, but rather from the One whom one represents - Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. May He be praised forever and ever unto ages unending. Amen.