Saturday, June 6, 2009

Facebook

OK, I admit it. I am an inveterate Facebook addict. I have had an account for years but really did little with it. Then I discovered how easy it was to take pics with my iPhone and immediately upload them to Facebook. Once I realized that, I was hooked.

It has proven to be yet another way to reconnect with people from the past. A whole group of 1984 Geibel grads planned out upcoming reunion through Facebook correspondence. It is also another excellent ministry tool. The Church can never sit back and wait for the people to come to her; she must go out into the world and meet the people where they are. And today they - especially but by no means exclusively the young - are to be found in "places" like Facebook.


Friends have at times accused me of overdoing it; the laugh and mock me for "posting my every move" on Facebook. To a degree they are correct and I deserve the mockery! However, on a very practical level, my "overdoing it" serves to give an "as it happens" view of what the day to day life of a priest is really like. We don't (as I stressed in the bulletin a fortnight or so ago) work a few hours Sunday morning and spend the rest of the week on the links!


If you are on Facebook you can find me by searching "Bob Lubic."