Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nice letter ...

The parishioner who wrote me the following very nice and humbling email suggested it might be good to include it on the blog as counter to the "less-than-nice" email I published previously. So, removing all names so as to "protect the innocent, here goes:


Father Bob:
How can I even begin to thank you? I'm truly embarrassed to say that I have been dreading this day (the day of my daughter's baptism) for weeks because of all the tension and stress between myself and my daughter's father and our families. But, I have to tell you that you alone were able to take this day from something that could have left hard feelings among our Jewish guests to something absolutely beautiful and moving to everyone involved. You reminded me (and everyone else) why we were there today. You brought us back to the core of baptism. You were able to pull us out of our own personal tensions, to REMEMBER what this day is about - the baptism of a beautiful innocent child - not the petty differences between the families. The way [my daughter] smiled and laughed today during the service only solidified my belief that angels were among us and flying close to the ground today.

I wish you could have been a fly on the wall after the baptism service this afternoon. EVERYONE (both Catholic and Jewish) had the most wonderful things to say about you. People were truly moved and overwhelmed that you were so very sensitive to the Jewish guests while still adhering to our faith as Catholics.

I'm honored that my daughter will learn and grow in the Catholic faith because of your sensitivity and persistence in helping to finally have her baptised. From the counseling sessions with me as well as [my daughter's] father, to the deterring phone calls from other family members, you have stood by my side in the most important quest - to have this innocent child become a member of our faith.

You truly impressed me and many, many others at the service today. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to make sure that everyone was comfortable admist the stress and uncertainity of having families with personal issues all together in one room, let alone knowing that half were Jewish. For that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tomorrow, I will frame [my daughter's] baptism certificate and when she is older, I will proudly show her the videotape of today's service. I will always remember your kindness and will make sure she knows what a wonderful gift you have given her today.

I truly want you to know what an inspiration, calming guide and friend that you have become to me. As you know, I drifted slightly from the church for awhile and felt unworthy and reluctant to come back - being as I'm an unwed mother. But, you have made me feel welcome and have gone above and beyond to help me through the current hardships that I'm having in my life. If I would have tried to come back to my childhood church, St. John's, with another priest at the helm, I may not have had the courage to continue, but you have shown me what our faith is all about - forgiveness, community and most of all, love. You emcompass and define all that's good and true within the priesthood.

So, let the naysayers come - they can send you snarky emails or negative words - but don't let it get you down --- just know that you have a band of brothers standing behind you - both Catholic and Jewish. Isn't that what all priests should be doing? Respecting other faiths/beliefs while remaining true to our own?

As my grandfather used to say when we did something that he was pround of - "You done good."

And, I'd like to quote [...], who was at the service today (and for the record, is very 'hard to please' in any situation - but not today), she spoke of you fondly and in the end only had one additional thought of your service today - "brilliant."

Again, from myself, my family and my daughter - we thank you!