Monday, June 1, 2009

A preview of next weekend's bulletin ...

Following are some of my remarks which will appear in this coming weekend's parish bulletin:

AIR-CONDITIONING As we head into the summer months the age-old battle between those who are "too hot" and those who are "too cold" heats up (bad pun intended). This past Sunday I understand that there were complaints because the air conditioning was in use. Considering that the Church was packed and that Mass would be somewhat longer than normal because it was a) Pentecost, b) graduates' recognition, and c) the Youth Mass, I believed that it would get uncomfortably hot if the air were not employed. I know that I was sweating like a stuffed pig walking down the aisle at the beginning of Mass, before the church had cooled. (I didn't turn it on until right before Mass.)

I have learned over the years that I will NEVER make everyone happy; it will always be too hot or too cold for some no matter what. However, I have always approached the issue from this point of view: when we are too hot, we can't in church strip down to our skivvies (or less!) but when we are too cold we CAN choose to wear additional clothing. So it seems that when it is going to be warm it makes most sense to use the air conditioning and trust that those who think it may be too cool for them to have the common sense to dress appropriately. Obviously this past weekend was the exception because we are at the very beginning of the warm season and people may not have yet expected the air conditioning to be in use. From this point on, though, it is reasonable to expect it to be used unless it is unseasonably cool. And if there is doubt one can always bring a sweater just in case!

SPEAKING OF MASS BEING LONGER THAN NORMAL ... Another no win situation! There will be people who would complain if the priest had them in and out in twenty minutes! Not quite sure why those types (a very tiny minority I trust!) even bother. My personal philosophy has always been that I have an hour. If I use less than that, great. If I consistently go over an hour there is a problem and I am showing disrespect toward my people. However, there WILL be times when it is to be assumed that Mass will exceed an hour. The High Holy Days of our faith - Easter, Christmas, Epiphany, Pentecost, to name a few. Masses where sacraments are being administered. (Although I have always tried my best to keep Masses where a Baptism is taking place to no more than an hour by shortening the homily.) And a few other times when circumstances make it very difficult NOT to go longer, for example when we are obliged to read a twenty minute-long letter from the Bishop. Generally, though, I try my best not to exceed that magical one-hour limit.

It is a little different now for me, being a pastor, and the only priest regularly celebrating. (We have Fr. Jim, of course, but he usually celebrates at St. John only one Mass a month.) In my past assignments as an assistant it seemed that I was with priests who tended to preach longer than I so no matter how long I yammered on I was always the one with the "shorter Mass." I kind of miss those stress-free days!